Stage Select
Sign in to follow this  
Darc_Requiem

Writing Advice Thread

Posted (edited)

I'm not giving any advice. I am actually looking for some. Does anyone here write? I'm working on a book. A fantasy novel of sorts. Even drew a world map with my atrophied art talents. No, I don't have any delusions of grandeur, I just want to see if I can actually do it. So anyone have any tips or suggestions? I know I'm usually a sarcastic bastard but I am actually serious about this. Preliminary world map as proof.

jZYt3r0.jpg

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, misterBee said:

What is the context here?

It's cool you drew a map but it might be easier to build the story first and worry about how the map looks later.

I've written seven chapters thus far. I drew up the map during chapter 5. I had all the locations in my head but having a visual reference helps me keep things in order. Similarly, as I create recurring characters in the story, I create a very short profile that lists vital information. Age, Hair/Eye/Skin color, etc. So as I write, I can scroll down to the bottom of my document to reference this info. I've done this with country names, cities, languages, and I even have rough time line. My memory has always been solid on these things but this something more complex than anything I've done before.

I have written things before but never a book. You guys have seen some of the concepts I created for SFV. That is more in line with things I've usually done. Outside of a Street Fighter fanfic I wrote Vortex Gaming Online in my teenage years, the only other thing I did was the basis for my book. I used to play Everquest 2 like a 15 plus years ago. You could right small story profile for your character, something other players could read if they inspected you. So I wrote a detailed background for every character I created. I played on the roleplaying  server. So I acted out each character, which became quite difficult as I created more. I'm sort of proud of the fact that people thought two different people played my two main characters. Only when voice chat started to become a thing did people, outside of my closest friends in the game, realize that weren't the case.

As I said, earlier this little rant. Those characters are the basis of my book. I've always hated how I'd crafted this interconnected set of characters that were just gone when I stopped playing. Part of the reason I played so long is because the attachment to my characters. In the years since I've always wanted to create my own world that I could place those characters in. So thing that not fade away because I wasn't playing an MMO. So I've finally decide to take what's stuck in this aging cranium of mine into a book. I want to challenge myself to see if I can do it. I don't ever plan on releasing it. If/when I finish it. I will let people trust read and critique it. If I am satisfied with my results, I may continue the story. I've thought up way too much stuff to put into one book. As I've built out the world, I have added new characters. A necessity to move the story forward. The added detail makes the story I thought may not fill a book much bigger.

Side note: Sorry for the massive rant. This reminds me of how I posted as teenager. Serious long winded posts. I think my posting quality is taken a severe hit as I've grown older 🤔 Oh, almost forgot. :tldr:

Edited by Darc_Requiem

In that case I wouldn't worry about getting feedback at this stage.  A map is just a map.  If it's for your own internal use then it can look like whatever you want.  The important thing here is going to be the story.

Have a strong outline for your story BEFORE you begin writing it, and don't get feedback until you've worked it out.  Showing pieces bit by bit and getting/trying to follow feedback is just going to cause your work to meander and go all over the place.  Get out a solid first draft without worrying about what people think and THEN show it around.

Alternatively, you can do something serialized instead.  Do it chapter by chapter, but still follow the same idea -- get a solid draft of each chapter done FIRST, then show it to other people.   Doing a serialized story and publishing online a chapter at a time will be much easier than trying to spit out a full-length novel at once.

Worst thing you can do is try to get all kinds of input when you're not totally sure how you want things to go yet.