Stage Select
Darc_Requiem

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Posted (edited)

Vampyr sold 1 million (I wonder how long did that take though..?  The game was released June of last year.)

I'm hoping a sequel becomes a reality some day in the near future...I am not sure which I would prefer---continuing the adventures of Dr. Reid or have him be a side character with a newer vamp being the star.... 

in terms of the business aspect of it all, it would probably be smarter to continue a series with 1 main character(s) though.  Usually that helps with establishing a certain brand.....yeah, I'd continue with Dr. Reid perhaps in another time period.  Despite a few nitpicks, overall I think they nailed it and created the vampire game I’ve always dreamed of playing, ever since I was a kid watching things like The Lost Boys and Fright Night over and over.

Edited by MillionX

^ohhhh hell yeah I'm getting that; good thing I waited on that one...now I can have it portable...

Ok, Dead Cells on “Very Hard”----this IS one of the hardest games I’ve ever played, man… seriously. I’ve been at it for weeks now; I’ve only made it as far as the Clocktower a few times…yeah, it’s THAT rough on the Very Hard difficulty…almost a different game. There’s been a few occasions where I died on the first stage. The bizarre thing is that it rarely feels unfair though…there have been those few rare occasions where it did indeed seem like the game was bullshitting me though.

Elite enemies— on Very Hard mode, just don’t even try it. Some of them are borderline IMPOSSIBLE for real, man. I’ve seen some that have magic crystal orb things that generate an INVINCIBLE forcefield on them…so you’d have to destroy the crystals to even begin damaging that bitch…well too bad you’re also having to dodge the tons of crazy attacks he can do AND the other regular enemies in the area AND the smaller enemies he also spawns around him…AND even if you destroy the crystals he just quickly respawns the shit like “haha too late–I’m INVINCIBLE AGAIN, LOL.” …and with some weapon/gear setups you’re at such a severe disadvantage against things like this it might actually be a completely unbeatable enemy for real, and you’d have to run past and HOPE he doesn’t follow you for the rest of the level (usually the elites will follow you for a bit.)

At this point I might knock it back down to just “Hard” difficulty so I can actually experience what it’s like to have a good run in the game again and getting far or even beating the whole damn thing. If they keep track of such stats it is probably something crazy like only 1 or 2% of people that play this game have even come close to beating Very Hard difficulty as it is right now.

****now---this will sound crazy--->I hope they DON'T tone this shit down, actually... elite enemies especially.  I actually find it more interesting that there are some enemies in a game's world that might truly be borderline impossible to defeat.....enemies that are to be feared...maybe you see them out in the world and know ---"oh...yeah I'm not fuckin with THAT....not today, man..."  ..and unlike most games with some measure of real difficulty... they managed to do this without making it seem unfair....at least most of the time, heh.

Posted (edited)

finally, Earth Defense Force has recaptured my interest...I like what I see here....and they finally bumped up the graphics a bit! It still isn't jaw-dropper visuals but at least it no longer looks like something from the PS2 era...

10 years later...a look back at the greatness of Prototype:

Edited by MillionX

This dude gives some great commentary on games...and I found this one he did for Darksiders 2... this particular point he raises is something I just couldn't get over with this damn franchise, man...

though he is mostly praising the game's design, the shit was annoying to me from day one...you have to do all this shit, jump through so many hoops just to get places that an ordinary human could simply climb to or hop over.  There's numerous occasions like this where I was thinking---"why the hell can't Death just jump over that?  Or y'know...FLY, phase through it, break the wall, teleport, etc. etc." since he happens to be a supernatural being.

I'll put it this way---imagine if someone made a game with...let's say Superman as the main character.  He gets to an area where there's a 4-foot brick wall blocking the way, and a locked wooden door on the other side of that.  Superman needs to get over there.  Well, looks like he'll have to go meet up with Lucious Fox and Batman to have them design a body-displacement device so he can astral project himself across the street in the other direction where you get the keys to that door.  Then you have to stand on a certain spot to make a giant boulder fall on another floor button which raises a secret entrance to a room where you push a lever, which moves the bricks.  Now you have the key and you have moved the bricks so you can get through that aforementioned door....you're Superman and you have to do all this shit.  GET the fuck out of here with that silly horseshit.  It amazes me that I seem to be one of the only people annoyed by this nonsense.

Posted (edited)

ah, I see that someone else out there asked the question I was thinking of... yes, Warhammer Chaosbane will indeed be playable offline, unlike that other one that was released more recently.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Chaosbane/comments/9foucc/offline_play_and_mod_support/

Crackdown 3 is on sale for 30 bucks now ---from what I've seen of this game that should just be the normal price, really....the game looks like they could've just called it "Crackdown HD Remake"....but actually---in the user reviews I was checking just now----they actually downgraded it from 4-player co-op to just 2?!  😄 I don't recall if the first one had 4 players but I remember for sure that part 2 had that.....that's sad when a new game in a series actually goes *backwards* in some way.

Edited by MillionX

Posted (edited)

Vampyr - so awesome, returning to this one... I checked up on a person I turned earlier to see how this one is adjusting to life as a "newborn" vamp.  There's another character towards the end of the game you can turn out of spite too...it's quite satisfying.  There is another one "progeny" out there too, though unfortunately I don't think I can check up on him...that one was at the behest of the Ascalon Club (kind of a fraternal order/clique of elite vampires).

One thing I would've liked a bit more is if you had the freedom to just turn anyone, or at least most people you meet...eventually becoming the "sire" of a whole legion of new vampires....a clan.  In a sequel, I'd definitely write in all these newborns to show up with Jonathan again as allies....just off the top of my head I'd do the different timeline thing for sure---say we're now following the adventures of Jonathan in 1940s or 1950s America, and of course Jonathan and his progeny naturally still look the same as they did back in 1918 from part 1....but now they'd function as much more experienced, more powerful vamps.  I can't get enough of this.

Edited by MillionX

More amusing Anthem shit----soooo....BioWare has posted some job openings apparently.....ahahahaha seems kinda late for that, bruh 🤣

By this time next year, I'd bet this game won't even exist anymore.

*ah....another random, quick insight on things with this game... they don't even have masterwork or legendary versions of certain items (support gear), folks.  Yeah, the loot pool is indeed *that* goddamn small and disappointing.  Imagine that in any other loot-centric game...like if Diablo 3 had legendary items for most things....EXCEPT boots...you could only get blue boots...not even rare...just blue-tier boots. 😆 Y'know, at a certain point you start to wonder not just if they ever made something like this before.... I wonder if these people have even **played** a loot-focused game before.  

This seems like the kind of results if someone like my Dad randomly decided to make a looter shooter one day (and purposely avoided doing any kind of research on other similar games in the genre).... my Dad being a person who has not played any video games in the past 25 years. (last thing he played was a basketball game on the Saturn)...it is out of touch to the point of being comical.

Skyrim...

Well, this is a bit of a disappointing thing I just found out... randomly browsing a forum for it... turns out they removed the random vampire attacks in towns.  Apparently I was probably the only person that found that idea funny and awesome (coming back to a certain town to find out that character you were coming to see is dead because vampires showed up yesterday 😄) ....most of the Skyrim fanbase seemed to always bitch about that, and downloaded a "vampires suck" mod usually to "fix" it.

hahaha the stage builder in Smash Bros. Ultimate, man.... first thing I made of course was "The Bowl."---- a giant toilet bowl with a huge shit-pile in the middle.  I look forward to seeing just how disgusting I can get with this.  I've already heard talk of a "Climax Sex Stage" that someone actually posted...sadly it's probably been taken down by now I'm sure.  Ohhhhh this mode they added should be non-stop good times.  I was at work while finishing off my designs for "The Bowl" stage; it was tough to hold in my laughs and still be all professional and shit there.

yeah on another quick note though--- Katana Zero = highly recommended for any 2d action fan.  I love everything about it so far....first thing I did when getting home today was to buy it and start the download.

haha back to stage-builder silliness though... check this guy's antics out:

Edited by MillionX

The Ongoing Slow-motion Hindenburg Crash that is Anthem continues...

...so the "Featured" store updated again, and OH HOW SURPRISING, once again there's content they've already posted before.  This is a non-stop comedy show, folks.  There's only 2 people on my friend-list (out of the group that played) that still play it... one guy actually hit "Legendary" status with his Storm now.  Really, I've never seen anything quite like this in the industry before... a game that's supposedly in the "looter shooter" genre...where loot is important.....and it hardly has any loot.  How does one also introduce a new special loot chest ("Elysian") that has literally NOTHING desirable in it?  

For the uninitiated---Imagine if Diablo 3, Path of Exile or whatever other loot-centric games had a new special mode you could run with this big golden treasure box at the end....but the only thing in there are white items and small amounts of gold (gold quickly becomes irrelevant in D3; my character on XB1 currently has 2.6 billion or so)...and thus...NOBODY cares about that damn chest as a result. 😆 I still have 1 Elysian key from weeks ago now...because I don't care to ever use it.  There is no incentive to care about that chest because it literally has nothing that is of any value.  People would have liked customization pieces (armor packs) to be in there but they (probably the suits in charge) chose to NOT put those in there.

It's like an incredible practical joke here....like if it was truly intentional, it would go down as possibly the greatest troll of a game in history.

*I want to get back to designing nasty stages in Smash Ultimate but Katana Zero is too good to put down at the moment...

I always enjoy hearing this guy rip into something, and Anthem is such an easy target...here's a new vid he posted on the latest going on with it:

Edited by MillionX

I've been playing a couple of old games on Switch. 

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition - I can't believe I've ignored this series for as long as I have. I've looked at it before and thought I would enjoy it as it's basically a mix of Zelda and Prince of Persia (also reminds me of Legacy of Kain fairy often) but I never knew I would get into it as much as I am right now. I seriously like this game and the Switch port seems pretty solid. 

Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD - I played this game 3 or 4 times back on the PS2. I picked up the PS3 HD release but sadly never got around to touching it. The Switch version caught my attention, however. Being able to play this hybrid was too tempting. There's also the fact that I love the Pro Controller. Going from the PS2 version to this is a shocking difference. From what I've seen, it looks pretty much identical to the PS4 version. It's a shame they didn't make use of the HD rumble or add anything other than touchscreen healing between battles, but it's fine. 

Edited by Zero