Stage Select
Darc_Requiem

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Expecting an English speaker that does not understand Japanese to play in Japanese when the English VA is actually good. SMH when did  MisterBee become MisterWeeb :coffee:

Naw man you gotta play a game in the language it was made with!  Plus it's a Japanese gangster game -- it's not the same without the yelling and rolling R sounds!

33 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Naw man you gotta play a game in the language it was made with!  Plus it's a Japanese gangster game -- it's not the same without the yelling and rolling R sounds!

So you play CD Projekt Red games with Polish audio and Ubisoft games in French. Impressive.

yeah, it surprises me they're only debuting it with 3 color choices...back in the Gameboy and DS days Nintendo seemed to have an endless amount of designs ready to go.  I still want an *official* Switch that has the SNES-ish design.... I'd buy that immediately.  Another I'd want is one with the "

"Gamecube purple" style.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:54 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

So you play CD Projekt Red games with Polish audio and Ubisoft games in French. Impressive.

Games are clearly designed with certain languages in mind.

Metal Gear games are Japanese-made but the English dubbing is actually done first and is the priority.  Mocap and character animation are all based around the English voiceover.  Similarly, European-made games are made with a global audience in mind and English is the main language focus, with translation to other languages done after.  As an example, Ghost Recon: Breakpoint is clearly made with English as the main audio language - French dub is going to be done afterwards.  Mocap and main performance are going to be done in English first.

Where a game is made doesn't necessarily determine the language that is the main focus of the developer.

Hey if you want to listen to stuff in a language of your choice that's cool.  I just like sticking with the 'intended' or 'main' language.

@misterBee Not really a serious post. I was being a smartass. That said based on your criteria, The Witcher series should be played in Polish with English subtitles. It is game based on a book from a Polish author developed by a Polish developer that takes place in fantasy setting based on Poland. Honestly I don't really care what audio other people play in. I do like to needle people that do though 😉

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@misterBee Not really a serious post. I was being a smartass. That said based on your criteria, The Witcher series should be played in Polish with English subtitles. It is game based on a book from a Polish author developed by a Polish developer that takes place in fantasy setting based on Poland. Honestly I don't really care what audio other people play in. I do like to needle people that do though 😉

DON'T MESS WITH ME 🗡️

That said I wouldn't be surprised if English is STILL the main language for the Witcher game.  If I'm wrong I'll play it in Polish.

2 hours ago, misterBee said:

DON'T MESS WITH ME 🗡️

That said I wouldn't be surprised if English is STILL the main language for the Witcher game.  If I'm wrong I'll play it in Polish.

But it's fun 😏

19 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Finally finished Judgment. I really enjoyed it.  Just in time to. Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Fire Emblem are just around the corner.

Nice.  Planning to sink some time into that game as well - but right now I'm playing FFXIV...

I expect it'll keep me busy for some time.

😭

20 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Nice.  Planning to sink some time into that game as well - but right now I'm playing FFXIV...

I expect it'll keep me busy for some time.

😭

Sometimes I miss 16-bit era. There are too many good games the days. Games that would get 6 these days would have been boss twenty years ago.

Dead Cells....Very Hard, 2 cell...

Well, I was at the last boss and had him down to something like 20% of his health... and died.  There is NO possible way in the world I'll ever get that close again...just no way.  The run was absolutely perfect up to that last point at the end.  I had 27 in Tactics, 8 on Survival and 5 on Brutality..(I think it was 3 or 4 cursed chests I picked up to get all that). Explosive crossbow (one of the best weapons in the game, imo) was at 11,622 dps for critical...that, my regular crossbow (16k! dps) and the Heavy Turret (5,205 dps) were all S-rank, AND I had a legendary crossbow turret. I'll keep playing Very Hard of course but I don't seriously have hope that I will get this close to beating that again.  This is only the 2nd or 3rd time I've even made it to the final boss on that difficulty in the first place.  

Y'know, if I made a list of the top 20 hardest games ever, at least of things I've played... this game is probably somewhere inside the top 5, seriously.  The fascinating thing is that it almost never feels like "cheap bullshit" though....it's oddly satisfying.

6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Sometimes I miss 16-bit era. There are too many good games the days. Games that would get 6 these days would have been boss twenty years ago.

Pffft no thx.  Never going back to the old days.  I'm happy to drown in good games. 🙃

sheeeeitttt, yeah I enjoy this "problem" of having way too much to pick from.  I have 40+ games just on Switch...some of them I haven't even started despite buying them months ago (e.g.--Starlink [aka the REAL new-era Starfox game]; bought it at Christmas on sale; still haven't started it)  I have tons of games on XB1 as well....and as your average working person I only have so much time to play anything.... and I still haven't gotten around to buying a PS4 and all the stuff I want out of that platform....and games in general are much deeper than ever before; it's common for a game to be enjoyable for hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours now.  I haven't checked recently but I'm over 200 hours deep in Dead Cells at this point, and easily 1000+ in my time on the various versions of Diablo 3.

heh, and back in the day I thought I had it good just having about 28 or 29 games on NES....that's nothing compared to what's out there now, and the type of collection you can rack up these days (especially with constant sales on every system, making everything even more accessible than ever).

Posted (edited)

A quick moment to laugh at Fallout 76 again....it's been a while:

🤣 it surprises me that there's still people who are even bothering to waste any time with this game at this point.  There's 2 people on my friend list that actually have this shit for some reason...at least for one of them it makes sense because he's always had bad/questionable taste....terrible. 

I was just mentioning to someone the other day that this kind of shit is the reason I've actually given up all hope on the future of the Elder Scrolls franchise.

Edited by MillionX

Marvel UA 3 is about as fun as I was expecting...you're stuck with the Guardians in the beginning of the game for a little while though; I'm not really a fan of those characters so I was relieved when others started showing up as playable.  Hulk and Thor were the first new ones I added into my team....I got Luke Cage in the mix a few minutes ago as well...currently I have Hulk, Thor, Luke and Venom ("Heavy Hitter" bonus for this)

a review

man, another interesting Overwatch character....such a shame they have to be in that game though

The real deal for me would be if the cast of Overwatch was in a proper action-rpg kinda thing, like Borderlands style.  I would've bought such a thing day 1, easily.  The very existence of Overwatch kinda annoys me, since an excellent cast of characters like that deserves sooo much better, imo.

Meawhile...

MARVEL UA3, baby! ---that character dupe glitch is pretty damn funny... yes, I have a team of 4 Spidermen that's leveling up super-fast.  I think it was Sunday night I started them from level 6----by the following day Spiderman is level 44 or so, and I'm sure people could've leveled him even faster than that.  The trick works for any character that has a solo "Infinity" trial.... Hulk and Luke Cage are 2 others in that category but there's more, I think.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Apparently Fire Emblems story has been leaked. Be careful of spoilers.

Hope it's good.

I may get the improved battery-life Switch next month. If I do I'll be keeping it docked the whole time though...