Stage Select
Angel

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

1 hour ago, Poltergeist said:

What did they do to dragon maid? All my DVDs are cowboy Bebop, Samurai champloo, and Ghost In The Shell related. I had FLCL but sold it for a couple bucks when I was broke lol

Same here and subscribed myself to Crunchyroll. Funny enough working on Dragons Maid so what am i missing?

They basicaly completely rewrote a lot of the lines for the dub and had haracters like Lucoa spouting lines that sound like they come straight off tumblr.

Not sure if their sub was effected since I was using another group at the time, found out about it when someone posted about it in the SRK animu thread.

For as much as I love dubs, I understand why the sub community would be up in arms about those types of re-writes. There's a fine line between trying to make sense of something that's difficult to translate and taking artistic liberties to the extremes. But I think comedy anime is just too fucking hard to dub right because so much of it so deeply entrenched in Japanese puns and subtext that most non Japanese speaking audiences will not get the references unless they're a huge huge huge fucking weeb.  A good example of this is Dagashi Kashi, which has a great dub but falls into the "you wont get this reference unless you are Japanese" trap. Although from what I've seen they didn't try to take away the cultural aspects of the candy and it's history to appease the normie anime audience. But many people still wondered why Funimation would even attempt to dub that show in the first place.

This is also why I'm not a huge fan of slice of life/moe blob comedy cuz I'm not interested in Japanese humor.

That being said the sneeze because someone is talking about you gag still gets a chuckle from me.

Finished Violet Evergarden.  I'm fucking spent.

Shit is so beautiful and emotional. I cried almost every damn episode.   Binging it made me feel like I just ran a marathon. I'm so emotionally drained I don't even know what to do with myself now.

For anyone that's reading Shokugeki no Souma, I bet the sound is coming from the students' clothes exploding off their bodies due to the epic smell of the dish haha

Edited by Pastrami

6 hours ago, Pastrami said:

For anyone that's reading Shokugeki no Souma, I bet the sound is coming from the students' clothes exploding off their bodies due to the epic smell of the dish haha

I really love watching Shokugeki.  The animation quality in this latest season has dropped a bit though. =/

Gonna revive this thread by posting recommendations for people.

91900.jpg

Looks cutesy, but is actually really dark and pretty crazy.  If you're a fan of mystery, adventure, and a bit of horror check out Made in Abyss.

52 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

Always wanted to give this series a shot.

Is it the same series snk sue them for copy right infringement,lol

I don't know if SNK sued them but if so it's all resolved now.

SNK titles are shown prominently in several eps.

If Goblin Slayer is triggering, I hope these poor fools are never faced with NGE or ANYTHING from the 80s.  They won't know what hit them........................much like the cannon fodder that constantly got sliced up in the 80s.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:58 PM, Deadly_Raver said:

If Goblin Slayer is triggering, I hope these poor fools are never faced with NGE or ANYTHING from the 80s.  They won't know what hit them........................much like the cannon fodder that constantly got sliced up in the 80s.

They need a dose of the good ol' NGE+Akira=Instant Depression recipe to toughen them up. 

With Ninja Scroll for desert.

893f5a54dcb9c30942e9d47360bbba8689b2d583

QhUb.gif

Edited by Zero

21 hours ago, Zero said:

They need a dose of the good ol' NGE+Akira=Instant Depression recipe to toughen them up. 

With Ninja Scroll for desert.

OVAs and movies are on a different level though.  OVAs were always more fringe and where all the crazy stuff came from.  TV was relatively much more tame.

I do love me some 80s/90s anime though.  Bio-Booster Armor Guyver is still my favorite.

tumblr_ne5rdio6JB1s81xnto1_1280.jpg

1 hour ago, Angel said:

I remember thinking about THAT scene in ninja scroll XD.    No way that would slide today...

Anyways I had to share this gem with ya'll 😂

LOL yeah I saw that.  I'm almost tempted to get it.  ALMOST.