Stage Select
Sign in to follow this  
GetTheTables

Fighting Game General

In fine tradition the SFV thread usually ends up being the sort of FG general thread, and we have threads for most of the other prominent games, but I figured there may be a use for a thread that is this section's version of general discussion to collect all the random one off FG related things that come up.

Worse comes to worse this can just become a fan art or anime general thread. 😉 

Speaking of anime, the thing that made me think of this thread in the first place: @misterBee any interest in Koihime Enbu RyoRaiRai (jesus that title?) I've never played Koihime Enbu but its coming out soon for $20 so I figured why the hell not, provided it continues to get decent player feedback.

I will play damn near any anime game.  If you buy it I will buy it.

PC? Console?  If I'm not mistaken it's been out on PC for a long time -- unless you're referring to a new version or something.

Yeah this is an updated version coming to PC and PS4 on Friday I think. 

I remember seeing the PC release and thinking it looked fun but they never ported that one so I never got hands on. 

I'm planning on grabbing this on PS4 when it goes live. 🙇‍♂️

Yeah. 🚫💻🚫 

I had one for a long time but it aged out and I never bothered to replace it. There are days where I really debate buying a new one to have access to the PC communities of the games I play (which seems to be where the more dedicated players are?), PC specific FGs, and the random PC games that I think are neat. But then I'd have to buy a PC and re-buy everything I want to play and I always find something else to spend that 💰 on.

I'll definitely add this to the anime pile on Friday.

24 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah. 🚫💻🚫 

I had one for a long time but it aged out and I never bothered to replace it. There are days where I really debate buying a new one to have access to the PC communities of the games I play (which seems to be where the more dedicated players are?), PC specific FGs, and the random PC games that I think are neat. But then I'd have to buy a PC and re-buy everything I want to play and I always find something else to spend that 💰 on.

I'll definitely add this to the anime pile on Friday.

If I didn't give it to my cousin for college, I would have given my old laptop. It had i7 4810MQ, 24GB  of RAM, and a 8GB Geforce GTX880M. It can run all modern games.  My cousin doesn't really game. He's going to use it for school and his music. It's really overkill for what he needs but it was cheaper to replace the primary HDD in that than to buy him a new one for graduation.

I gave my previous laptop to @PussyStuffer when he was in a pinch. I'll keep you in mind when I replace this one, but that probably won't be for a few years. I have custom deal now that's basically a portable desktop. I have i7 7700K and Geforce 1080. Given the ridiculous RAM and GPU prices. I should be good for quite sometime.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

If I didn't give it to my cousin for college, I would have given my old laptop. It had i7 4810MQ, 24GB  of RAM, and a 8GB Geforce GTX880M. It can run all modern games.  My cousin doesn't really game. He's going to use it for school and his music. It's really overkill for what he needs but it was cheaper to replace the primary HDD in that than to buy him a new one for graduation.

I gave my previous laptop to @PussyStuffer when he was in a pinch. I'll keep you in mind when I replace this one, but that probably won't be for a few years. I have custom deal now that's basically a portable desktop. I have i7 7700K and Geforce 1080. Given the ridiculous RAM and GPU prices. I should be good for quite sometime.

Appreciate the thought man.

Part of it is that my house is a console peasant house in general, so my wife uses them too. I used to always have a PC around (even pseudo built my last one) but I honestly didn't end up using it for much so when it aged out I effectively replaced it with my phone and tablet.

I do want to start looking at laptops again. I've always been more partial to a tower but I don't really have the space for it, and for what I need and would actually use it for that would probably be fine. Plus its always fun to look. 😉

2 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Appreciate the thought man.

Part of it is that my house is a console peasant house in general, so my wife uses them too. I used to always have a PC around (even pseudo built my last one) but I honestly didn't end up using it for much so when it aged out I effectively replaced it with my phone and tablet.

I do want to start looking at laptops again. I've always been more partial to a tower but I don't really have the space for it, and for what I need and would actually use it for that would probably be fine. Plus its always fun to look. 😉

If you are lacking space you should build ITX systems.  I have 2 high end gaming rigs (one for my desk and one for my TV) and they are both the size of a shoebox.  Unless you plan to carry it around I don't find laptops to be very good value propositions at all -- they are more expensive to begin with and age more poorly.

43 minutes ago, misterBee said:

If you are lacking space you should build ITX systems.  I have 2 high end gaming rigs (one for my desk and one for my TV) and they are both the size of a shoebox.  Unless you plan to carry it around I don't find laptops to be very good value propositions at all -- they are more expensive to begin with and age more poorly.

I agree with you on this. I've had nothing but laptops in the last decade. The position I held for about 5 years caused me to move a lot. Between that driving home to visit family, having a laptop was preferred. While I current position has had me in the same place for the five years. I still go home frequently to Virginia. Having a laptop still my best bet. I thought about getting a desktop before I got this particular laptop. However, i'd likely still need a laptop. I can't justify having two PCs a single person on his own. If I ever moved back to Virginia. I'd get a desktop.

12 hours ago, misterBee said:

This is the case I use for both my rigs:

sg13-dimension.jpg

Nice! Thanks for letting me know about that. 

I'm so out of touch with PC builds that I always think of a big 'ol tower when it comes to building a PC. Since most of my gaming happens in the living room now I'm not gonna be able to get away with setting up a tower there. Something with that kind of form factor would work I think.

If you're not trying to go super high end you can probably buy prebuilt PCs that are small like this too.  You won't have to build it but they might not be that upgradeable, depending on where you get it from.

This one looks good but you'll have to pay a little bit of a premium because it's prebuilt:

https://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/chronos/

size-3.jpg

It's no big deal either way.  I can play on PS4 with you until then. ❤️

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Hell, if he lives close enough I can just go to his house and build it LOL.

You'd better have good food. 😏

This is the point where we find out one of three things. Either....

OR

• His wife is a caterer

OR

• He and his wife run a world class restaurant.

Get your tools ready @misterBee 😉

Edited by Darc_Requiem

13 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

This is the point where we find out one of three things. Either....

OR

• His wife is a caterer

OR

• He and his wife run a world class restaurant.

Get your tools ready @misterBee 😉

Ha, I don't know about all that, but I do handle all the cooking in the house and I do know a few pretty good dishes. 👨‍🍳

@misterBee Thanks for that link. I don't mind paying a bit for a pre-built so long as it isn't a big gouge and I'm happy with the final product. I also don't totally mind putting a PC together myself but its been about forever since I've done that and I don't have as much free time as I used to so at this point I'd probably fork over the extra cash just to make sure I didn't have a bunch of PC parts sitting around for a couple of months. 😉 

Definitely going to be a while before I can invest in anything but I can at least start looking and getting ideas. I've also been out of the game so long that I don't really know what a good set of general PC specs are nowadays.

Origin is definitely more expensive than others, BUT they have some things going for them:

- Custom case with good paint job

- Off the shelf parts with no proprietary customization (good for normal upgrading)

- Well known brand (support)

So if you've got the cash you can go with them. 

If size is not an issue, then you can save some money and go with iBuyPower:

https://www.ibuypower.com/Site/Computer/Desktops

These systems are a little cheaper but don't build stuff that is as small.  They are another reputable vendor that makes stuff using standard parts.  The 'Revolt' line are the smallest systems they make.

I found a group of people that play BBCF on steam here in TW and I've finally started to actually play Bullet.

So much fun!

Sadly most of them main horrible MUs as mains. The guy I play the most is a Susanoo main, and another guy rotates between Nine, Carl and Celica

Good stuff. If you weren't have a world away you and @misterBee could throw down BBCF as I remember him saying that was him jam for a bit.

I completely forgot they added Susanoo. I only remember some of the other newer chars because they have tig ol bitties and some of them are rumor slated for Cross Tag.

Found a new arcade in Brooklyn!  Everyone knows about Next Level, but people don't know about this one, which is right around the corner!

39916251_10160703715265623_1213542829096

It's called I Fix Machine and has 10+ candy cabs with real arcade hardware/swappable games, as well as a bunch of modern cabs with PS4s/PCs with Steam inside.  Great place to hang.  All machines are free play -- just $10 a day.  It's where I've been getting my fighting game fix for the past few days.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ifixmachine/

https://twitter.com/Ifixmachine

On 8/31/2018 at 8:12 AM, misterBee said:

Found a new arcade in Brooklyn!  Everyone knows about Next Level, but people don't know about this one, which is right around the corner!

39916251_10160703715265623_1213542829096

It's called I Fix Machine and has 10+ candy cabs with real arcade hardware/swappable games, as well as a bunch of modern cabs with PS4s/PCs with Steam inside.  Great place to hang.  All machines are free play -- just $10 a day.  It's where I've been getting my fighting game fix for the past few days.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ifixmachine/

https://twitter.com/Ifixmachine

I would kill to have a place like that where I live. The group that puts on the tournaments our microscopic scene compete in have been trying to get a permanent space and create something similar, but apparently they haven't been able to get a deal on a building yet.

Otherwise, the closest thing to an Arcade my podunk little town has is this weird little used game store tucked away and partially hidden by hedges and trees that has four cabinets with sub-par emulators in them and a little lounge area for gaming on modern stuff you can rent by the hour.